Monday, February 20, 2012

Recording Studio


I recently came across a rather amazing interview with the so-called reputable recording engineer and writer on the subject of studio recording techniques. He basically says that people do not want to work with women in the study. Thus, he concludes that the principle reason that women music producers so rare to find work in the field of creative recording and mixing music.

Apparently less than five percent of the audio engineers and music producers are women. The reasons for this gender imbalance regularly discussed. One reason put forward is that the long hours necessary to achieve the ability to be a professional engineer or producer are too long for women. I, however, have an instant resistance to this argument. Women are often found in jobs that require long hours and often receive low wages. And motherhood requires twenty four seven duties, usually without a day off. So, I'm not convinced that women are not able to work long hours.

As a solo female engineer and music producer, I actually think it's more a question of trust. And often it is the trust and support that they can continue what you really want to do. Most recording engineers are passionate about what they do and really enjoy your work. They must also be given power to live from this business. Thus, determination and confidence is key when there is fierce competition for jobs and clients.

I do not want to believe that a male colleague musicians and engineers do not want to work with women in the study. I think this is offensive to men, and very out of touch with how things are today. Personally, I worked very happily with many people who can not seem to have any problem with my sex. They just treated me as a fellow team member or staff member is able to study. Only sexism I find is actually in the engineering school.

I was therefore very disappointed to read such a pessimistic view of the prominent voice in the field of audio engineering. But, fortunately, I know that these conclusions are my awesome experience. Women and men can work very well side by side.

No comments:

Post a Comment