Monday, February 20, 2012

The Music Business


I am the first to agree that they are just too many songs released today. As my friend Rupert Withers avenger of Music says: "Just because you can make music does not mean that it can." What he says is that ability to the music (ie the technological tools at their disposal) does not mean that we are capable of making good music.

In my opinion, the greatest challenge to any artist or band has the ability to make music that sells. Sooner or later if you make the music that has the ability to sell within a certain genre, regardless of the number of publications, music to the attention of customers. Every time someone finds your music will tell their friends and the chance to go viral is the highest.

The problem is that most artists / bands do not make music that can be sold in its genre, but blame the lake of money for promotion as the reason for poor sales, or blame someone who was in charge alleging they failed to perform his duties properly.

No matter what anyone says, those who dominate the genre has to be making music that attracts the customers within that genre.

Let me explain what I said. I recently went to CD Baby to buy some R & B songs of the gospel. As I went on to listen to many songs I came across the song "Jai" called "Pray". No I have not heard of it before, but the song was just so catchy that I bought it. Only promotion of the song is only required to ensure I could listen.

If you are not selling their music need to consider your process creation or creativity.

So, you can help us to ensure that their music sales? Here are my suggestions:

First Be prepared for the long haul. Longevity is one of the essential keys to success. More engage their creative process, creative you become. So be prepared to do as many songs as possible before you get one that will be sellable or get a formula that creates music that is sold.

Second Working with the producer who makes music that sells. Before you pay any producer, especially the question on your mind should be "How is my record of production sold?" If he / she has not made any music that sells, then do not risk your money with the manufacturer.

Third Working with focus groups. Focus groups are a handful of people who have experience in the music industry and are able to offer constructive criticism. Your focus group should include DJ's Record Store sales staff, Pluggers and Promotions person.

No comments:

Post a Comment